Blog design and digital scrapbooking elements created by Adori Graphics »

Friday, December 23, 2011

Winter Wonderland!


Fall is my favorite season, however around the last week of November, I start ITCHING to put up my winter decorations! I love watching the student's faces as they come and walk in December 1st and see the room has transformed from a Fall Harvest to a Winter Wonderland! I love this time of year! Here are a few pictures of the room and some centers we have been completing! 








Below is one of my favorite clock centers. I think I found it on whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com. I made 12 different clocks with different times on each. The SOL for 2nd grade is telling time to the 5 minutes.  Each clock corresponds with a letter on the recording sheet below.  I then place the clocks scattered on the walls of the classroom. I try to make them tricky so students have to really look for them! Then students record the time on the clock on their sheet! Its super simple but so much fun for the students! I love that it gets them moving around!




We completed a unit on geometry. Students were able to practice using various shapes to make winter designs. This is a picture of a wreath below!

The holidays are just not complete without Holiday Fast Fact Musical Chairs! Each chair has a fast fact equation on it such as 9+8, 6+6 etc that the students need to know efficiently. When the holiday music plays, students walk around the chairs. When it stops, students must correctly say the answer to their equation and then sit in the chair. We have judges walking around making sure students correctly answer! It is really a big hit in our classroom!

We had many centers that involved mooseltoe ( thanks to Cara Carrolls TPT unit), the grinch, and other holiday fun themes! During this time of year it is so crazy that I continuously forgot to bring out my camera and snap away! That is added to the list of my New Year Resolutions! The week before Winter Break students started a Chris Van Allsburg Author Study. We read each of his books that were available at our school. Students retold each book including the Author's Purpose. On the day before Winter Break we listened to the reading of the Polar Express! Then in the afternoon students drank homemade hot chocolate and received a golden ticket to come on board the polar express. After students watched the movie!! It was a nice way to end the week!!






Last but not least, Santa definitely made a stop in our room!!! My donorschoose.org page finally got funded!!!!! Meet our new wonderful amazing multi-spot rug!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free blog design by Adori Graphics using the Every Woman digiscrapping kit by Adorible Digital Designs